Friday, March 18, 2011

There are Fireflies in Texas

I am a newcomer to the Lone Star state. My husband and I relocated here because the job market was stronger than Southern California within the field of education. We drove for three days with our daughter, dog and all of our belongings to start a new life. After our long journey across the Southwest, we arrived to our new home in McKinney, Texas. It is here in Texas where my blog begins, although some of the lesson plans and activities I will  share have been used in sunny Southern California.

As a Southern California native, there are many differences that take getting used to in the state of Texas. The ever-changing weather, the vast, wide open plains, the use of the words "fixin" and "y'all" and perhaps the most pleasant of all are the light bugs. Yes, there are fireflies in Texas and on hot spring nights such as this one (where we are still pushing 80 degrees) I hardly have to have my window open to hear the soothing drumming of the crickets, the grass lightly crunching under the bunnies feet as they hop through my yard, and the little glimpses of light as they freckle the black night.

I keep looking at them; they come and go, like my thoughts in this blog perhaps. But it is in this web space that I hope you join me as I share my creative juices as they come and go, like fireflies. Feel free to use them or keep them moving along for someone else to enjoy.

Lights out!

Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. I love your description of Texas. As a Texas native the sounds of crickets, and the warm nights with fireflys really make me miss it. However, I am not far enough away to miss everything, as Ya'll and fixin are still a part of everyday vocabulary. I am also a mother, but of two wild and crazy boys, that fill my life with laughter, love, and a lot of dirt! Just thought I would say how much I love this and can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I say- in Texas everyone is "fixin" to do something! It cracks me up! Love it!

    ReplyDelete